Tuesday, May 25, 2010

What is the most effective medication for menstrual cramps?

I have had severe menstrual cramps for the last 10 years. They interfere with my life in general! In college the nurse first recommended that I take some ibuprofen 2 days before my period but the cramps were still bad. Then she put me on the pill which solved all my problems!! I have used the pill for two years with marvelous results. But the reality is I am not sexually active. I am unnecessarily manipulating the hormones of my body, which might interfere with my fertility in the future if I am blest to meet someone I want to have kids with. This spring I decided to junk the pill. Now I have to take more than the recommended dose of ibuprofen in order to just be able to get out of the bed for the first two days of my period. I don鈥檛 want to have liver damage! Does anyone know any other non-toxic medication that would end my monnightmare? Please let it be legal..I tried codeine and it worked great but my source got arrested!
Answer:
Go see your gyn...maybe you have PMDD, there are prescription meds available. Also, talk with your gyn about your concerns about taking the pill. The pill has been available for over 50 years now, and doesn't seem to adversely affect fertility in most women. There are also the new, low dose pills available.
MIDOL! it works honey!
I find Midol extra strength good
motrin, take them when you get the cramps. sometimes you gotta take 4.
in some women ibuprofen does the work...but if you're having that kind of pain...you should consult your gynecologist...that is often a sign of endometriosis
M-I-D-O-L
Try midol and a heating pad with lots of warm baths
Go to the dr and just explain to him that your (dad) gave you codeine and it worked great for the cramps and I'm sure they would take you off of the pill and give you the T3 for the pain...Good Luck, I always tell the dr my (dad) or some other family member gave me meds...they always buy it, and if they don't they end up giving it to me anyways!
midol, advil, chammomile tea, heat pads, excerise, sex, have a dog sit on ur stomach (the heat, it works, a small dog of course)
Hi,
I had the same problem as you. Cramps so bad the pain would wake me in the middle of a sound sleep. My GYN gave me prescription Ibuprofen (800MG), which helped, but I also went on the pill. I would ask your GYN for a presciption for Ibuprofen...see if that helps. If you are concerned about liver damage from taking so much ibuprofen, be sure to drink PLENTY of water when you take it. Good luck.
Go back to your ob/gyn %26 see what advice/meds you can get.
I used magnesium and calcium supplements and after using them for about a month I have not had any more menstrual cramps for over 2 years now.
Just go back on the pill that the easiest thing and you said it worked for you in the past ...
Are you over weight not a questions you wanted back but weight can factor in your cramps Are you active run walk ect.
do you take time to workout YOGA anything
Do you drink alto of coffee or high caffeine drinks
All of these are factors in cramps and you may change yourlife style and most ofthe problems will go away
As for a quick fix you have choices herbal teas lots of water
get a message before you start

No comments:

Post a Comment